At Rillington Primary School we believe that all children should be given a range of opportunities to be active through timetabled PE lessons, sports competitions and extra-curricular sporting opportunities. We are passionate about improving the physical health, as well as the mental wellbeing of our pupils through sport.
- All pupils should develop a knowledge of 1. motor competence, 2. rules, strategies and tactics, 3. Healthy participation.
- Children are confident in both the declarative and procedural understanding of their performance.
- All children to develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities.
- For all children to be physically active for sustained periods of time, through at least 2 hours of PE each week, extra-curricular provision and active breaks within lessons.
- For all children to have the opportunity to engage in competitive sports and activities.
- To equip our children with the skills and knowledge they need, to embed lifelong healthy habits and participation, understanding of all aspects of a healthy lifestyle including mental wellbeing and nutrition.
- Strive to create a culture which aims to inspire a generation to enjoy PE. We encourage our children to be advocates of sport, being proud of their achievements, both individually and as a team player.
- We encourage children to transfer the skills that they learn through sport into other aspects of their learning. These skills include; teamwork, leadership, resilience.
- We have a progression document which shows how knowledge (declarative) and skill (procedural) progresses across year groups.
- PE progression document
- We teach Physical Education from EYFS to year 6, for at least 2 hours each week.
- Adults give high-quality instructions, plan purposeful practice and give immediate feedback.
- Use of technology as a means of evaluation within lessons.
- Specialist PE coaches support staff to design creative and innovative lessons for pupils to enjoy.
- We take part in an active warm ups to ensure that our bodies are ready for physical exertion.
- Pupils have the opportunity to develop new skills in isolation, before applying this into a game-based scenario.
- We finish our lesson with a cool down to help the body to recover effectively and safely from energetic activity.
- Throughout the year, we cover a range of games, sports and activities in our PE lessons. This includes: swimming, invasion games, net and wall games, striking and fielding games, gymnastics, dance, outdoor adventurous activities, fitness and athletics.
- 2022-2023, we utilised a large proportion of our sports premium funding to enable all of KS2 to have regular swimming lessons at Pickering Pool with their instructors.
- Local sports partnerships (Malton Community Sports Centre, Ryedale and Whitby School Games) which organise inter-school competitions.
- Links to external sports clubs and specialist coaching links (Hawkes, Malton and Norton Rugby Club, Ivan Oliver- a PGA Qualified Level 3 Golf Professional based at Scarborough South Cliff Golf Club, Cricket links).
- We work hard to ensure that our offerings for extra-curricular clubs and activities meet the needs and wants of our families through regular consultations.
- We train year 5 pupils in how to be successful sports leaders. This initiative encourages young people to take responsibility and develop strong leadership skills. This ensures that there are a range of opportunities to be active at break times.